Thursday, August 30, 2007

Lazy days



This past week I really haven't done much besides sweat, eat, and sleep. I had to attend a formal meeting with the local board of education where I was introduced to a lot of people in high places. I didn't have time to form a proper speech in Japanese so I had to wing it because I didn't know I was supposed to be there till the night before. Anyway, I'm not really big on preparing for speeches and such and considering I haven't used my Japanese in over a year I think I did OK, or at least that's what Mrs. Kyoko said to me... It is hard to judge how much people are being nice to you here but I'll take compliments where and when I can still get them...




I spent most of the day waiting for this late afternoon meeting so I really didn't do much today besides a little laundry and a short cat-nap. Speaking of cat-naps, I had the best sleep I've had in a long time. I think I finally adjusted from my old uncomfortable couch back in San Diego to my nice comfy double futon mattress in Japan. I really value sleep and I am relieved to find myself getting some real uninterrupted sleep for once. But that really isn't interesting I guess... It is to me and that's who I am really writing for!




Around 7:00 PM I met up with Josh, a nice local English instructor just like me, his wife, one of their friends, and another English instructor from Australia (which I can't remember her name unfortunately) for a little bit of social drinking and dinner at a local restaurant. It was a pretty good place and it was nice to finally spend some real time with people for once. Even when I was training in Tokyo I really didn't feel connected to anybody there. I'm glad I'm starting to meet new people, this should lead to meeting more people hopefully. The sooner the better I'd say. The restaurant we ate at closes around 11 ,which is pretty early by Japanese standards, so we had to all go home shortly after that. I had fun and ate and drank more than I can remember since I arrived in Japan yet I still feel fine. I think the beer here is weaker or something...




Anyway, that's about it for today. I'm hoping I can ride to the next city or something just to do a little more exploring before I have to start seriously planning my lessons for next week. My company Interac, hasn't been too helpful with suggestions so I hope what I got from training and my own intuition will be enough to get me through this. I'm not saying Interac isn't good at all or anything like that, on the contrary they've been very helpful but I still feel a little disconnected from them out here in the boondocks.




Here are a few pictures of the inside of my apartment like I promised yesterday. This should give you a better idea what I see every day and how nice I have it this time around.




No comments:

Post a Comment