Saturday, September 15, 2007

School Sports festival this weekend.


It’s been a while since I can remember sleeping as well as I did last night. I didn’t do anything differently to sleep so well; so I can’t really figure out what makes me sleep. I know the night before I pigged out on cheese based foods like nacho chips, pizza, and string cheese and I felt crappy the next morning. Food used to never affect my sleeping habits but I guess it does now…
Well, enough about my sleeping/eating habits, let’s get down to what happened today. Another Friday has come and gone and my first month of living in Japan has also passed. I’m still getting used to the fact I am living in Japan again. Every day, I have at least one moment where I am shocked I actually got to work in Japan as an English teacher. I actually got to do something I wanted. Things actually worked as I planned them. Of course, just about everything I’ve done to get her e wasn’t by chance I suppose. A greater force is behind everything I’ve done up to this point. If I were really in charge of what I was doing, I wouldn’t even be in Japan; I’d probably still be sleeping on my Mom’s couch.


By nature, I am one of the worst procrastinators I know. I live for the day when I can put off all important things and just sit around doing absolutely nothing, without any responsibility. But for some reason I pulled myself out of my usual stupor and ended up in Japan. I think that’s pretty cool and I am happy I made it. So yeah, my being in Japan wasn’t by chance, it was because of my prayers and motivation to actually do something with my life straight out of college. Until about a year ago, before I worked for FedEx Express, I hardly even gave a second thought about prayer. But ever since I started praying, things have somehow worked out for me better. I think prayer also gives me a level of optimism and hope that pessimist like me wouldn’t normally have. So good for me.


Moving onto school matters, I had a relatively good week. I managed to hold all my classes confidently and got good feedback from all my faculty members. I suppose the worst part is over, getting started, so now I can focus on improving my teaching style and better aquainting myself with my students. This weekend my school has their bi-yearly school festival. The festival they will be holding this time is the sports festival, which are always held at the beginning of the fall semester. I’d like to snap pictures and such but I’m not sure if that’s ok or not. It’s something that doesn’t happen in American schools, so I’m sure it would be interesting for my readers to see just exactly what it’s like not only through my writing but through pictures. Oh, well.


I’ll be attending both days, Saturday and Sunday, although I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing all day. I am relieved I won’t have to wear my formal business wear this weekend at school. I really don’t like wearing slacks and collared shirts, especially during the humid Japanese summer. I’m hoping for mild weather like I had today, I’d prefer not to marinate in my own clothes for once. Hopefully the festival will be entertaining enough that the time passes quickly. I get Monday off this week because its “Respect for Elder’s” day in Japan. It’s something Americans should try to celebrate and maybe dump Cezar Chavez day or Columbus Day, or something else in their stead. Actually, next week will be super short, only three days long, because we will have another holiday weekend that will go from Friday all the way through Tuesday the next week. I’m really looking forward to that!


So, that’s it for this week. I’m sure the school festival will be worth writing about at the least, and if I’m lucky I’ll be able to have a picture or two to share. I’m looking forward to October, I’m supposed to get my car and insurance straightened out by the middle of next month. Being limited to where I can go by bicycle is starting to bore me. At least I have a couple of friends that have been taking me around and stuff. I wonder what I’ll wear tomorrow for the festival…

No comments:

Post a Comment