Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Post too awesome to title gets no title.


It's been a rough couple of months starting my life off here in Minami-alps. It's not that the actual city is bad or the people are horrible, it is that there isn't really any nightlife to speak of and it lacks the population of twenty-somethings I really need. Well, things have really turned around for me in the past week. I met a girl named Yuko by chance through a Japanese travel information website and it just so happened that she is friends with one of the nice ladies that teaches at my school. So it was really easy to just meet since she knew I could be trusted. Ever since our first dinner out together, we've been having a lot of fun together. As a matter of fact, the past week has been a very enjoyable one for me. Yuko and I have really connected well and we're meeting just about every other night. It's been a great time getting to know her as a friend and I think she's going to be a real good one. What really makes things great is that we don't need to throw back a couple of cold-ones to have a good time. That's a relief, seeing as how we live about 30 minutes apart from each other by car.

Yuko and I spent the whole weekend together shopping and dining. I ended up spending about 21,000 yen ($180) on a whole new winter wardrobe that I really did need to buy. The clothes I brought with me from With some advice from Yuko and some free spending, I was able to dress myself well. We also checked out a nice little waterfall in the nearby mountains in Shosenkyo. We didn't make it there till sunset so my pictures are kind of crap, so we plan to visit there again for an afternoon maybe next weekend or whenever.

School has been pretty enjoyable too. The students are used to me now and seem to be comfortable with my teaching style. This week will be kind of interesting seeing as how I don't have any more classes the rest of this week. I had all my classes on Monday and the rest were cancelled due to being a little behind in other courses. So I will be sitting in my chair most of the day on Wednesday and Thursday. At least I have Friday off this week, maybe I'll make the most of that wasted time up on Friday doing something on my own. Next week is midterms week for my students and if it is anything like the last testing day, all my classes will be cancelled. I am going to see if I even have to show up to school on those days. If I don't, I may just screw around hiking in the nearby mountains or something.
Speaking of hiking and getting out, I've been running about 5k every night. I am starting to notice a difference in the amount of energy I have during the day and how my body feels. I still haven't lost any extra weight but I know I eventually will. I'm looking forward to that, it is a little embarrassing to see my stomach slightly bulge out when I sit. Either way, meeting Yuko has really inspired me to shape up and that is exactly what I plan to do!

Finally, we're near the end of today's post. My computer's been on the fritz as of late. My power button has been working sporadically for the past few weeks and it finally gave out Sunday morning without warning. When my power button stopped working, it also took out my integrated microphone and speakers. I was pretty bummed out about it so I took matters into my own hands and carefully opened up my laptop. I found that my laptop was built and designed very well and is very easy to repair, at least easier than older ones I've screwed around with. After taking out three small screws, I popped off the top trim media bar and found the problem. The primary power ribbon cable that connects my power button to the motherboard was severed slightly due to being bent beyond it's limit. So the thin wire has a bad contact. To my luck, the media bar control panel has the same gauge wire so I just swapped them temporarily. Now my speakers and mic work like a charm but I lost media bar functionality till I get a replacement in. I'll probably end up asking Matt or Enoch to send me a replacement in the mail. I just have to buy it somehow first. I found a replacement on ebay so I'll probably buy it that way and have it sent to one of my friend's homes. Shipping to Japan shouldn't be so bad since it is lighter than a sheet of paper and as long as a pencil. Either way, I am very happy and blessed it was an easily solvable problem.

So that's it for now. I got another dinner with Yuko this evening. We'll be going out for a little Yakiniku (Korean-BBQ) hopefully. It's been a while since I've had real good grilled meat. I'm not sure if I'll get a picture of Yuko any time soon but I probably won't post it on the blog either. So if you want to see it, you'll have to ask me to show it (ahem Kherri). Since my blog is public, it's probably best this way. I may eventually make my blog private, but I have noticed though GOOGLE analytics that people from Australia and New York read my blog too. I know one of my friends, Dave, in Australia reads it but I am getting more than just one hit from Australia. And New York, New York is just strange, I don't know anybody there. So, mystery blog visitors if you want to keep this public, speak up.

No comments:

Post a Comment