Tuesday, March 25, 2008

All good things must come to an end...

gyakusai_narumayo_yuuyake Today was the last day of school for students. There was a short closing ceremony where final words were given by student body heads and the senior teaching staff.
The closing ceremony isn't really the top news of the day though. After the closing ceremony I found out that in addition to a handful of teachers I didn't know well, my most favorite teacher would also not be returning for the new school year. Japan's school system differs from America's system more than just when talking about length of school years and class arrangements. There are special younger teachers that are on special contracts with the board of education to serve only for one year at their designated school. It is rare for them to teach at the same school for two years ago and my favorite teacher is no exception. Ms. Saito, my favorite teacher, will not be returning in April.
I kind of knew this would happen but I still felt really crushed when the news was broken to me. I think it's the way I learned of the sad news that got to me. I was asked to write some friendly words on stickers for their going away presents. Ms. Saito happened to be one of those names. The official announcement doesn't even happen till tomorrow so I guess I fortunate to have an extra day to sort things out in my head before the going away party. I'd rather not get too choked up over this during the party since its supposed to be a celebration but I'm sure I'll get a little teary eyed. Maybe.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Ms. Saito and me really worked perfectly as a team and I'm really sad to see her go. She really puts a lot of effort into her work and the kids she works with. I'm not looking forward to meeting the replacement staff in April but all good things come to an end I guess. I hope the new English teachers that start in a few weeks from now are as good if not better. I really don't want to loose such a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment