Saturday, June 7, 2008

I was an undertaker today.

ferretangel Last month, I helped my friend Erica buy a couple baby ferrets at a big pet sale I found in the paper. Every thing was fine with them until a couple weeks ago when one of the ferrets, Itachi, got really sick and had to be taken to the pet hospital. Fortunately Itachi bounced back and is its normal self now after a simple operation. But today something really weird happened. Its brother, Squeakers, died mysteriously this afternoon. Squeakers was the healthy one that never showed any problems or fatigue like the other ferret that had to go to the hospital.
Erica asked me if I could help her burry Squeakers in an empty field near my apartment. So I agreed and dug a grave for it near an orchard. It was weird for me to dig a grave and burry a pet. I've never seen or held anything dead before so it was kind of strange for me. I think I held up pretty well though because I picked it up and gently laid it in its final resting place. After Erica left, I read Psalms 23 and said a little prayer for it and Erica. I wish I could have done more but at least I did something.
I hope Erica will be OK, the ferrets are like her kids to her. I also pray that her other ferret, Itachi, remains healthy and lives a long and happy ferret life. I am happy I could do something to help, even if it was its last burial right and a Psalm over its grave. Hopefully its in ferret heaven or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. Digging graves is pretty unsettling, but you get used to it. It's all part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the passing of Erica's ferrets. Say high to Erica for me.

    -E.L.

    ReplyDelete