Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sunday drive up to Fujiyoshida.

Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 001 I finally got around to getting my seasonal tire and oil change and figured it would be fun to drive out to Fujiyoshida to check out MT Fuji one last time before the new year.

The timing couldn't have been better. After a lot of overcast days, we finally had one nearly perfect clear day which really makes MT Fuji look even more beautiful in pictures. After stopping by the side ofKawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 006 the road to snap a few pictures, Yuko and me went souvenir shopping. I bought a few things for my mom and sister along for something for one of my friends. I might go out there one more time to pick up a few more things just to get a lot of my Christmas shopping out of the way before I visit my family at the end of next week.
Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 010
Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 012
Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 017
Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 020  After checking out the scenic view of MT Fuji in Kawaguchiko, we checked out Fuji Sengen Shrine. I've passed this shrine many times but never once stopped to check it out. I figured it was like all the other shrines I've seen scattered along Japan's landscape. Most shrines and temples are generally similar and not all that interesting to look at but Fuji Sengen was a pretty decent place. While we were checking out the main Shrine we got a glimpse of a traditional Japanese wedding ceremony. I would've taken pictures but it seemed kind of rude to go any further than just watching it as outsiders.
Kawaguchiko Fujisan 2008-12-07 019 After freeing our butts off at the shrine we stopped over at a large recycle shop in the area. I happened to come across an incredibly filthy used official Xbox 360 USB controller. The controller was sitting under a pile of other game related items in the junk bin. Being the tinkerer I am, I decided to take a chance and buy the nasty thing for a mere 600 yen. The controller sells new for about 2500 yen so I think I got a really good deal on that. I ended up spending about an hour or so taking the thing apart to disinfect and clean every nook and cranny of the controller. After I was satisfied with how clean it was, I plugged it in and tested it out. To my relief the controller worked just as well as my wireless controller. So now I have two controllers but nobody to play with. Oh well, at least it gave me something to do.
I love Japan recycle shops. Its amazing what people consider junk here. Electronics go obsolete here quickly and most people could care less for used stuff in Japan even if its in near perfect shape. Japanese are the perfect consumers. Of course, when it comes to used CDs, DVDs, books, and games, Japanese have no qualms about getting second hand media.
So that's it for today. The days are getting colder and colder here and I am really looking to warming up next weekend in San Diego.

1 comment:

  1. When are you going to post a blog about your time in San Diego?

    ReplyDelete