Sunday, April 11, 2010

Takeda Shingen festival in Kofu

DSC00007 I’ve been living in Yamanashi for about 3 years now and I have been meaning to see this festival but keep forgetting to go when it comes around every April. The really sad thing about me missing this festival for the past couple years is that I am within a short bicycle ride from this.
DSC00044 This year I managed to remember what day and where it was and saw a ton of people walking down the main strip of downtown Kofu dawned in Samurai armor. I got to Kofu station about an hour and a half before the parade started but the best spots on the side of the road were already taken, so I had to rely on a steady hand and my weak 3x optical zoom on my point-and-shoot camera.
DSC00079 This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a parade with people dressed up as Samurai, but it is the first time I’ve seen so many. The procession of Samurai clans in this parade seemed like it would never end. I think the line of people was over a kilometer long. Pretty impressive.
DSC00087 I am not really much into Japan feudal history, (pretty strange huh?), but if you want to know why Kofu has the Takeda Shingen festival, google his name. You’ll find him to be one of the biggest names for historical Yamanashi.
I took over 200 pictures but I only used a small handful of some of the better shots. I hope you enjoy the rest of the pictures below.
DSC00134
DSC00136
DSC00051
DSC00058
DSC00101

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I miss marching in that festival.

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete