Sunday, February 12, 2012

Power lines get in the way of good shots

DSCF0002Lately, my area has been having really good weather. Today was no exception as the sky was absolutely clear, without a cloud to be seen.

I haven’t taken a picture of Mt. Fuji for a few months so I figured I might as well get some use out of my HD video camera and digital camera. The funny thing about taking pictures of something as visible as Mt. Fuji, it was really hard to get an unobstructed view of it.

 DSCF0001I live in a fairly flat, and lightly populated area for Japan but there's enough power lines to make it feel like I am in the middle of a large city. Even when I tried to take a picture of Mt. Fuji from the large park nearby, I couldn’t get a wire-less shot.

Its really a shame as I think Japan still has a lot of beautiful scenery and vistas. I wonder sometimes why Japan zoning and city planners didn’t have much foresight into where power lines were placed and how much sunlight they block out just from city streets and neighborhoods. DSCF0005I live in a somewhat newly developed area yet it would seem like there was never any real planning put into where the poles were placed.

For a country that has such frequent earthquakes, there aren’t many places that have underground lines run. Its really a shame because underground lines would probably keep roads clear of rogue poles, and safer during earthquakes if those poles or wires were ever to fall (which they often do).

DSCF0008Anyhow, I think I’ve said enough on this topic. I am not very fond of the Japanese sky filled with miles upon miles of wire. Cleaning it up would help so much. It would help shots like the one I took today just look so much better!

Here are some HD videos I uploaded to YouTube as well.

A river that runs by my apartment.
A quick video of Mt. Fuji as seen from the grass field of my local park.
The best shot I could get of Mt. Fuji from my neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice shots Scott. I agree that it would be nice to see, or not see to be more accurate, less power lines along the Japanese skyline. Maybe someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! Hopefully the younger generation will part from the old ways of construction and find that hiding wires is both visually appealing and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, do u live in Takabatake-cho? I lived in an apartment that's by the river with a similar view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment and your readership. No, I don't live in Takabatake-cho. I live in a smaller town called Showa thats right next to Kofu in the middle of Yamanashi.

    Its funny to know that my view of Mt. Fuji from where I live isn't unique. :) How interesting.

    ReplyDelete