Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Kirin Mets Zero - fat absorbing cola?

2012-05-11 17.53.23

Is this Cola a product of the New York Mets? No? I sure did a double take when I saw the brand name for the first time…

Mets Cola Zero is a cola that is advertised to be drank with a meal to help with fat absorption but this has to be too good to be true right? Well, if they meant fat absorption into your body, I wouldn’t be surprised as that’s what all colas do. Mets Cola is advertised to absorb the fat you are ingesting while drinking the cola. This cola allegedly prevents the body from absorbing fat.

I think the cola has been on sale for about a month now but I haven’t really cared enough to grab a bottle till a day or so ago. Kirin has been using the popular classic comic characters from Ashita no Joe to promote the cola in their TV commercials.

If Joe digs it, it must be good!

The commercials put the super lean fictional Japanese boxer in situations where he’s pigging out and drinking a bottle of Mets cola at the shock and disapproval of his trainer. But everything’s OK because its not a regular cola, it’s a “health drink” without really saying it outright. At least that’s what I get out of the commercial. I may be a little off maybe.

2012-05-11 17.53.08So how does this stuff taste? I have to be honest here, I really don’t like diet colas so Mets already had a lot going against it before it even touched my lips. But this wouldn’t be fun to read if everyone’s opinions happened to be the same right? Compared to a traditional Cola like Coca-Cola, its tastes flat even though it seems to be well carbonated. I wasn’t expecting much but to me Mets tastes even more bland than a regular dirt diet Coke or Coke Zero.  I figure it would be acceptable to people who can’t tell or don’t mind the difference between Diet and regular colas.

One sip was enough for me to decide I won’t be buying this stuff again. If I want to lose weight or prevent myself from getting fatter, I’ll stick to water, a balanced diet paired with some cardiovascular exercise.

Haha, who am I kidding? I just drink regular Coke if I want Coke. Never substitute, just don’t drink colas all the time and you’ll probably be fine. Smile

3 comments:

  1. As you say, you are probably biased since you don't like diet drinks at all. So let me add some experience from a regular diet coke/ coke zero drinker :) Taste is not bad at all. I actually like it better. Is it a health drink, even gets you slimer? Very unlikely. And as Scott says, just watch what you eat and do excercise. Kirin Mets Coke as an alternative soda drink? Very good in my own perception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to have a diet cola drinker's opinion on this. My opinion was a little harsh but your comment makes up for it. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I have bought one, too.

    I usually avoid diet products. When it comes to stuff like milk I even buy the 4.4% fat stuff here in Japan, though I'm mainly drinking water during my daily life.

    I have to say, that I actually dislike this Mets a lot less than I do Coke Zero (or former Coke light).

    Well, I still prefer normal Coke and the only form of Cola that I'd rate even higher would be Vanilla Coke.

    But yea, the thing I wanted to write the most would be: For my personal taste, though I still don't like diet products, if I were to make a highscore list of best-tasting diet drinks this would probably be at the top.

    ReplyDelete