Thursday, December 20, 2012

Suntory Amber Beer

DSCF0054

Fall and Winter seem to bring a lot of limited time releases for beers every year. This year is incredibly varied which is great for me. This may be the first time I've come across an Amber style beer from a Japanese macro brewery. Suntory is best known for their Premium Malts and whisky brands so it's not too much of a stretch for them to try to make yet another luxury styled item. All I know is that there's finally a new and unique beer label that has a name that accurately describes what is in the can. Not only does it have a descriptive name, it also employs a full English title, without strangely worded English or Japanese-isms. The can's design, however, is a bit on the simple side. But it's what's inside that counts right? :3

DSCF0058

Just judging by the first pouring I feel that Suntory has done an excellent job, as it pours light but with a medium thick head. The beer's color is a nice medium red color and justifies the title beer's name. The aroma of Amber Beer is light but has a mild sweetness to it as I'd expect. I think it has to do with the roasted malt they use in this particular blend. It went down really smooth and left a light bitterness at the end. It went well with a pizza as well. I really liked it.

Suntory Amber Beer can be found pretty much at every grocery store in my area so it most likely isn't too hard to find anywhere else in Japan. It was maybe 10 or 15 more yen than an Asahi Super Dry, but it was worth every single extra yen. I may buy some more for next week's Christmas party. Maybe have a little beer sampling to celebrate the recent tasty variety of new Japanese beers on the market. Great job Suntory!

2 comments:

  1. The beer is not available here (U.S.-Virginia); however, there are some local micro-brews that appear to be very similar. Nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm back in the US I may bring a few cans back for friends if it's still on store shelves. Beers like this get rotated out quickly so I may just stockpile a few cans just in case... Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete