Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hot beer? What the heck Kirin?

20130203_125350

OK, now I’ve seen just about everything when it comes to beer gimmicks in Japan. I've had super chilled beer, which is pretty darn good, but super hot beer? No thanks.

I took a picture of this oddity in December or early January I think so this is probably no longer in stores. Sorry for the blurry pictures. I forgot to switch the phone into auto focus mode. Hot stout? Hot stout beer? Hot BEER? Not two things that I would assume go well together. Cold beer, yes but hot beer? Wow…

20130203_125333

I’ve never considered drinking a beer hot when drinking them at or near room temperature is bad enough. I have a feeling a good amount of alcohol would be boiled out of it although that’s just a guess. So seeing Kirin Stout, a beer I actually like, being sold in such a way made me do a double-take.

20130203_125342

The box basically wants you to pour a can of their Stout beer into the clear mug that they provide in the box and then microwave till hot. There is also Kirin Ichibanshibori beer taste jelly-chocolates that they suggest you try with it as well. All I can say to that is ick, and as for the beer flavored chocolate, I could see that turning out not bad but since its gelatinized I really don’t want to try it because I don’t like gelatin. I wonder if the stores that stocked this stuff sold through all of their stock or did they end up sending it back to Kirin or selling it at half price… I’ll never know.

20130203_125354

So, yet another weird beer product from Japan. Did anyone ask for this? Who thought this would be a good idea. I can understand the reasoning behind the timing of the product as it was mid winter, but it’s just so weird… I’m curious if any of my readers had the guts to try this stuff out. At 1580 yen for like 3 cans and a mug, I wasn’t willing to jump in, but maybe some of you deeper pocketed readers out there might have… I wonder what they will think of next… Hopefully it’s something I actually would be willing to try out and not laugh hard at.

No comments:

Post a Comment