Saturday, March 30, 2013

I got a new fish tank

20130302_175050

After 5 years of having the same boring fish tank, I decided I wanted to get a smaller, and easier to maintain tank. After a lot of net and store searching, I finally found the one I wanted. I bought a much smaller 6 liter acrylic fish tank by Nisso.

20130304_173534

The price varies wildly between pet shops and online retail outlets but I got mine for about 4000 yen including shipping. It cost me nearly half of what it would’ve at a brick and mortar store I was originally going to buy it from and it came with everything I needed to start a new tank included in the box. Well, except for the lid which was an extra 600 yen. I lost a jumper due to that…

20130302_175102

The tank turned out pretty good and it looks great at night with that moody LED lighting assembly on top. I decided to give up on live plants as they always seemed to die on me and brought way too many snails with them along with making the water a lot smellier than I liked. Now my tank is stocked with the most basic of fish, Neon Tetra, and Corydoras catfish. Nothing special but they are mellow and nice to look at when sitting down after a long day of work.

If you live in Japan and want a fairly clean and easy hobby/pet go for a fish tank. Just make sure you have friends or family around to take care of them if you decide to go out for long extended periods of time. Fish can’t take care of themselves. aquabase_nissoacrylicminib[1]

If I had a choice to change my tank I’d go for the slightly larger version of this particular tank model. I got the Mini version but what I should’ve gotten was just the regular version. 6 liters is pretty small and the kind of fish you can stock it with gets very limited at that size. Oh well.

Here’s a little video of the stocked tank in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment